Sunday, February 21, 2016

The Library is a Good Place: Small Successes Keep Us Going

"The library is a good place," one of my students said this morning as she sat at the circulation desk and took in her surroundings. I tried to see the space as she saw it in that moment: a group of girls furiously finishing geometry homework tucked away in the fiction section...friends sitting in cushy blue chairs sharing a pair of headphones...a freshman boy flashing an appreciative smile as he takes a Hershey Kiss from the candy dish next to the sign-in sheet. "I cannot believe I didn't know about this place before last year, Ms. Kauffman. It's a good place," she concluded.

She put into words exactly how I want students to view this space: as a positive haven in their busy lives. In the same breath, she also expressed the biggest problem: many students are unaware that the library exists. All students attend a Freshman library orientation, but somewhere in-between their regimented Freshman year and their less-structured years after that, they seem to forget (or worse yet, not realize) what the library can offer them.

This year, we seem to be starting to hit our stride. I would still like to work on promoting the library to those that aren't aware of what it can offer, but we have at least experienced an increase in readership, which is encouraging. I always feel most fulfilled in my career when I get to support our students, especially those unlikely readers. I had a tall, slender senior walk in the other day with a sideways black cap (totally against dress code), saggy jeans, and a plaid flannel shirt. I recognized him as one of the students taking a remedial writing course because he spent a lot of time during class typing (or not typing) his paper in the library. He asked for some read-alike suggestions. I hadn't read the book he mentioned and, based on the cover, had the misconception that it was about overcoming addiction. After doing some research, I discovered that it was really more about coping with mental illness and depression. So, I suggested Ned Vizinni's It's Kind of a Funny Story and Stephen Chbosky's The Perks of Being a Wallflower - both favorites for addressing difficult topics with a touch of humor. He came back the next day specifically to tell me how much he loves Vizinni's story. After having a stressful day when nothing seemed to be going right, his comment made my whole week. This just goes to show that a kind gesture can be the fuel to keep someone doing what they are doing right.

This student taught me a lesson, and I will continue to more often let others know when they have made a difference in my day, my week, my life. Perhaps this is one small way that I can continue to make the library a "good place" for all who use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment